Pakistani actors issue: Who said what after the MNS statement family, wedding pictures, age, height, weight, biography
While there is a looming fear of all cultural exchanges coming to an end between India and Pakistan, in the aftermath of the Uri attack, opinions and viewpoints are still pouring from all corners regarding the horrendous incident. Maharashtra Navirman Sena on Friday ( August 23) issued an ultimatum to all Pakistani artists working in India, asking them to leave the country within 48 hours or “risk being beaten up”. These included artists like Fawad Khan, Mahira Khan, Atif Aslam, Ali Zafar and Rahat Fateh Ali Khan. “When our soldiers are being killed on the borders by Pakistan, why should we host their actors here? We warn all Pakistani actors to leave India in the next 48 hours. If they do not do so, MNS activists will give them a thrashing,” said Ameya Khopkar, president of the MNS Chitrapat Karmachari Sena.
Shalini Thackeray, General Secretary of MNS Chitrapat Karamchari Sena, said, “It is not a veiled threat. It’s a direct threat to producers like Shah Rukh Khan and Karan Johar who take Pakistani actors in their movies. Can’t you find Indian actors for your films? In this 125 crores Indian population, can’t you find a single Indian actor to cast in your films that you import people from a place like Pakistan, a country with which we all are facing a problem? It’s not a veiled threat but a direct threat. We will not allow the release of these movies here.”
While many Bollywood actors have chosen to stay silent on the issue, few have taken a stance. Singer Abhijeet Bhattacharya was one of the first celebrities to strongly comment on the issue. He supported the MNS and lashed out at filmmakers like Karan Johar, Mahesh Bhatt and actors Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan and Aamir Khan for allowing Pakistani artists to work in their films. He said in his tweet, “I never said boycott .. I said kick these Paki b**** #ActAgainstPak ..shame @karanjohar @MaheshNBhatt for breeding feeding them #UriAttack.”
Comedian Raju Srivastav has cancelled his show in Pakistan. He says after looking at the pain of families of the soldiers who died in the attack, he won’t be able to perform there. In a video, which went viral on Twitter, Raju can be seen refusing to travel to Pakistan to ‘entertain those who murder our soldiers’. “I have been invited to a comedy show in Pakistan. But every day, we can see at border how war is happening and our soldiers are being killed,” Raju said in the video.
Zee’s head honcho Subhash Chandra has hinted that channel Zindagi could completely stop Pakistani programmes from airing them. He took to Twitter and wrote, “Unfortunate stance of Mia Sharif at UN. Zee is considering stopping Zindgi programs from Pak, as well artists from there should leave.”
While support and opposition continue on the entire issue, many are also questioning the stand of these Pakistani actors who have so far remained silent. These are the same celebrities who spoke enough during the Paris attacks. However, several others are also raising questions whether or not sending off the Pakistani artists will change the scene of terrorism at the borders.
This article was originally published on http://indianexpress.com/photos/entertainment-gallery/pakistani-actors-issue-who-said-what-after-the-mns-statement-3049349/